WARNING: This blog is created to share our opinion about books, and also for news about books. We are from Chile (Caro) and Argentina (Fede), so we actually talk in spanish. This blog is a chance for us to practice the language while we share our thoughts.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl is a book from Rainbow Rowell published by St. Martin's Griffin. For all the ones who don’t live in the USA and want to buy it, you can get it on Amazon and Bookdepository. The author has also published books such as 'Eleanor & Park' and 'Attachments'


It took me a little longer than usual to finish it, because I was reading from my iPad and the light bothers the hell out of me. Anyway, I’ve read Eleanor & Park (Soon I’ll be posting my review of that one too) and that’s why Fangirl got my attention.

Even if you don’t need to be a genius to write a story like this, someone needed to take the leap and do it. It felt really close and it got to me in every way, because of the obvious and constant references to the Harry Potter’s phenomenon, how it explores the “nerd-world” and how a fandom means a refuge for all of us (Yes, I consider myself a nerd and I’m happy to live in a time when you don’t need to be ashamed to admit it).

The author gives a lot of importance to Cath’s (our main character) family, which was a detail I liked a lot. Also, this is the second time I’ve fallen in love with a male character from a book and the love story wasn’t too cheesy, Rainbow kept it real, simple and cute. The message I got from the book it was something that we all fangirls and fanboys should have in mind: You won’t always find people like you, but there’s gonna be people who will respect your little quirks because of what they mean to you.
If you’re expecting a lot of climax, you’re going to be disappointed, because what keeps you reading is how related you feel to Cath and the curiosity about the ending. I didn’t like how slow it got almost at the end, a lot of pages were used to develop useless stuff, instead of resolving some inconclusive business.

I recommend it if you liked Eleanor & Park, if you were a Potterhead, if you love Fanfiction or if you’re looking for an atypical love story.

|| Buy this book on Amazon. Editions: Hardcover, Paperback. ||
|| Buy this book on Bookdepository. Editions: Hardcover or Paperback. ||


Hardcover: 448 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; First Edition edition (September 10, 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1250030951
ISBN-13: 978-1250030955
Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 5.8 x 1.4 inches
In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.
Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to.
Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?
Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?
And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

1 comment:

  1. Comments in english or spanish, maybe spanglish? :D
    I want to read this book ASAP. After reading E&P I think that Ranbow Rowell's books should be a must read. Yes, only one book made me think that. The thing is that I see so much potential in her stories.
    Congrats guys! I enjoyed the review.
    Xoxo
    P.s: I cannot follow the blog :@

    ReplyDelete